Postdoc openings in Deep Learning and Control
(NB: no PhD student positions available.)
Postdoc opportunities are now available, working with Prof. Davide Scaramuzza on research projects sponsored by the DARPA FLA program, the SNSF-ERC Starting Grant, and the NCCR Robotics. As a Postdoc in our lab, you will work in a team of researchers developing new algorithms to advance the state of the art on autonomous and agile navigation of vision-controlled quadrotors. Applicants with an interest in, and strong experience with one of the following disciplines are encouraged to apply: Deep Learning, Control. Our vision is to make drones one day able to navigate as birds or better than birds, using mainly onboard vision sensors. To achieve this goal we investigate how machine learning, novel sensors (such as event cameras), and coupled perception and control can be used to advance the state of the art. We are looking for motivated researchers to help make this vision a reality!
An up-to-date list of our current research projects is here. While, for videos, check out out our YouTube channel. You will also work in close collaboration with other research groups from ETH, EPFL, and UPENN.
The position is fully funded. PhD student and Postdoc positions in Switzerland are regular jobs with social benefits (i.e., a pension plan!). You will get a very competitive salary and access to excellent research facilities (motion capture, 3D printing, a large flying arena, electronic and machine workshops). Zurich is regularly ranked among the top cities in the world for quality of life. Additionally, we have a very enjoyable work atmosphere and organize many social events, such as ski trips, hikes, dinners, and lab retreats.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Who we are
We are a research lab of the Computer Science Department of the University of Zurich. As of August 2017, our lab will be affiliated with the Institute of Neuroinformatics of the University of Zurich and ETH Zurich. The lab was founded in 2012 and has made world-class contributions in visual SLAM, event-based vision, and vision-based navigation of quadrotors, which resulted in many prestigious awards. Our lab has been many times in the in the spotlight of the international press . More recently, we were on many news worldwide for our works on deep learning for autonomous forest trail following and agile navigation of quadrotors using standard cameras or event based cameras .
Your Skills (for the position in Robot Control)
In addition to a passion for computer vision, robotics, mathematics, programming and abstract thinking, you should meet the following requirements:
- PhD degree in Computer Science, Robotics, Electrical, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or closely related fields
- Excellent academic track record (publications in high-impact-factor journals and conferences, such as NIPS, ICML, CVPR, ICCV, PAMI, IJCV, TRO, IJRR, ICRA, RSS)
- Excellent English skills, written and spoken
- Strong background in one of the following: Deep learning, Control, Computer Vision (show publications in at least some of the venues listed above)
- Strong C++ skills
- Skill to analyze and improve algorithms
- Ability to work organized and independently
- Strong team player
Familiarity with tools such as ROS, OpenCV, and Git is desirable.
Starting Date: immediately but later starts are also possible. The evaluation of the candidates starts immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Check here for updates.
How to apply
You will be requested to upload single PDF including (in the order):
- 1. Letter of motivation (max half page). Please specify your strong experience in "one" of the following: Deep Learning, Control, Computer Vision. Please show evidence with publications in the field and is some of the venues listed above.
- 2. Your CV (please include: your Nationality for visa requirements, Date of Birth, your English level, scientific publications if any, hobbies). Please include the publication list and reprints of your 3 major publications;
- 4. List of at least 3 referees (support-letter writers). Support letters will be requested only if your application is considered .
Please include your homepage and link to videos if available. The letter of motivation should comment on the required skills mentioned in the bullet point list above.
For questions, please contact Prof. Davide Scaramuzza at: careersrpg (AT) ifi (DOT) uzh (DOT) ch (please do not use his private email for inquiries about these job positions). Applications sent directly by email and not through the web form will not be considered. In case of positive feedback, you will be contacted within 4 weeks from your application. If not positive, you won't hear back.